Thursday, April 12, 2007

Do They Know Us?

When I was a girl, we used to sing a song with the refrain, "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes they'll know we are Christians by our love." I feel so drawn to that hopeful sentiment. I want people to see Christ in me and in each of my brothers and sisters in the faith. I think that Christians should be in the forefront wherever the need for the compassion of Christ exists: homeless shelters, AIDS ministries, Katrina cleanup, refugee camps. The list of places and people who need the love of Christ is without end. But is this really what the world thinks of first when they hear the word "Christian"? Are we truly known for our kindness, compassion, love and humility?

I read a lot of book reviews, both for business reasons and because I love to read, and there has been a disturbing trend lately in anti-religious book publishing. These books draw distressing conclusions about us as a people of faith, calling us "poison" and worse, "fascists". The case seems to be that many in our nation believe us to be people who are "known" by our intolerance, our active discouragement of dissent, our fomenting of fear, our aggressive politics, and even violence against our perceived enemies. I'll admit I was really shaken by this level of vitriol. I don't mind if people disagree with my beliefs, but these accusations are the opposite of what I consider to be the Way of Christ.

Now let me say I don't see this as being the true state of us as Christians. I know far too many wonderful believers who are serious about being transformed into the likeness of Christ and they will never give up in their pursuit of having Christ formed in them. The elder board hears marvellous stories of people who sacrifice their time, money, and vacations to make a positive difference in the world. Yet, there is enough negative press out there to make me pause and reflect that the ideals of Christ have gotten skewed in the hearts and lives of many.

If someone wants to dismiss us as Christians, let it be for our honesty, humility, charity and goodness. Let it be for our faith beyond reason, for our passion and compassion for justice and the poor. Let it be for the right reasons.

3 comments:

KAP said...

I appreciate Valerie's comments. In the wake of the Virginia Tech tragedy, I have been musing upon the Peace Prayer of St. Francis (Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace; where there is hatred, let me bring Your love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is despairing, let me bring Your hope...) What if we were known by these descriptions?

sunkari said...

Good posting Valerie! I agree that the world looks at Christians as intolerant people because we don't approve of what they do. At the same time, how much ever Christians do for this world, that will not be noticed by the media because of their biased opinion. Everytime a natural disaster happens, Christian organizations that are the first to respond and help people. Even today, Christian organizations are helping at New Orleans without any selfish gain.

It is true that Jesus was known for His kindness, compassion and mercy. As His followers, we should reflect His qualities in our lives.

Elder Board Blog said...

Thanks guys for the comments. St. Francis has been a particular inspiration to me lately, so I enjoyed being reminded of that beautiful prayer. It definitely holds up the idea of Christians bringing light into a dark world. It wouldn't even take the entire population of self-proclaimed Christians to make a major impact on the world by living that out! Just one church in a community full of these kinds of people would make a huge difference, I think.

Paul, you bring up a good point that sometimes we can live exeplary lives and still be negatively pigeon-holed. I don't think I mind that so much. If I am Christ-like and someone doesn't like me, that is okay with me. If they don't like me because I'm full of self-righteousness and condemnation, then that is something else altogether.