Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Poverty and Wealth: Part II

Henri Nouwen, in his pamphlet The Spirituality of Fund Raising, says, “sometimes our concern for the poor may carry with it a prejudice against the rich. We may feel that they are not as good as the poor…The poor are indeed held in the heart of God. We need to remember that the rich are held there too. I have met a number of wealthy people over the years. More and more, my experience is that rich people are also poor, but in other ways.”

Looking at the comments from the last post, I see that others are feeling this too. Sometimes the very assets that give us wealth (our education, financial stability, easy access to health care) can in fact impoverish us in other ways. This is a fascinating thought to me: The poverty of wealth. I think we see it in ourselves, as has already been mentioned, in our ability to ignore our desperate need for God in the day to day living of our lives. I know that with steady employment, a bank account, home ownership, and family as a safety net, God is potentially pretty far down the ladder if a disaster were to strike me. This is a sobering thought. When I recite the Lord’s Prayer and pray “Give us this day our daily food”, what am I really asking for? My ‘fridge is abundantly full. I have not only my daily food, but also a couple of weeks’ worth. Certainly I pray that as a community prayer, embracing a global “we” where daily food is something to pray for, yet I’m sure I can come to a fuller understanding of what my prayer can mean to me: where is the daily hunger that only God can fill in my life? I am also poor in my understanding of community. My wealth not only insulates me from a deep dependence on God, but keeps me from experiencing the depth of community that ought to be ours as Christians. The ability to call a tow truck if my car breaks down, order a pizza if I’m ill and can’t cook, hire a contractor if my roof leaks are all wonderful blessings and yet they keep me from a deep need for others and the humility of asking for and receiving help.

Thinking about the poverty of wealth can also help us gain God’s deep compassion on those who live and work all around us; those neighbors, friends, and co-workers who seem to have no need of God. Nouwen asks, “Can we discover the poor in this person? That is so important because it is precisely in this person’s poverty that we discover his or her blessing. Jesus said, ‘How blessed are you who are poor’ (Luke 6:20). The rich are also poor.” What is the poverty of wealth? Loneliness, dissatisfaction with empty pursuits, enslavement to the ideas of youth and health and success seem to be impoverishments to me. What is the poverty that you see in yourself and in those who are materially rich? This must not be an exercise in ingratitude for all that we have. I am most thankful to have been born at the right time in the right place to the right family. But, if we are to discover the blessings of poverty for ourselves, I don’t think we need to sell all that we have to find it. It is already there lurking within us.

No comments: